Following are some of the multiple choice questions on the Railway Engineering with answers that will help the students in developing their knowledge.
Railway Engineering MCQ
2. The rail is designated by its
3. Gauge is the distance between
6. The main function of a fish plate is
7. One degree of curve is equivalent to
8. Rails are fixed on steel sleepers
9. The runway orientation is made so that landing and take off are
10. Pandrol clips cannot be used with
11. The minimum width of clearway is
12. Rail section is generally designated by its
13. Metal sleepers are superior to wooden sleepers with respect to
14. Standard size of wooden sleeper for Broad Gauge track is
15. Tensile strength of steel used in rails should not be less than
16. Head width of 52 kg rail section is
17. Largest dimension of a rail is its
18. Flat mild steel bearing plates are used
19. Pick up the incorrect statement from the following:
20. The gradient on which an additional engine is required to negotiate the gradient, is called
21. A treadle bar is used for
22. What is Permanent way?
23. Which one of the following rail failures is caused by loose fish bolts at expansion joints?
24. The nominal size of ballast used for point and crossing is _____
25. Factors affecting selection of gauge are:
26. For a 8° curve track diverging from a main curve of 5° in an opposite direction in the layout of a broad gauge yard, the cant to be provided for the branch track for maximum speed of 45 km/h on the main line and ‘G’ = 1.676 m is (Permitted cant deficiency for the main line = 7.6 cm)
28. Effective length of a runway is the distance between
29. The height of the rail for 52 kg rail section is
30. Composite sleeper index determines
31. Sleepers with highest scrap value are made up of:
32. The type of bearing plate used in all joints and on curves to give better bearing area to the rails is
33. What does ORR stand for?
34. Wear of rails is maximum in weight of
35. The slipping of driving wheels of locomotives on the rail surface causes
36. Largest percentage of material in the rail is in its
37. The object of providing a point lock is
38. The limiting value of cant gradient for all gauges is
39. Vertical curves are provided where algebraic difference between grades is equal to or
40. Which of the following types of sleepers is preferred on joints ?
41. Loose jaws of steel trough sleepers are made of
42. Which of the following mechanical devices is used to ensure that route cannot be changed while the train is on the point even after putting back the signal ?
43. Maximum value of ‘throw of switch’ for Broad Gauge track is
44. The distance through which the tongue rail moves laterally at the toe of the switch for movement of trains is called
45. Yellow lighthand signal indicates
46. The standard length of rail for Broad Gauge and Meter Gauge are respectively
47. The nominal size of ballast used for points and crossings is
48. In a shunting signal if the red band is inclined at 45° it indicates
49. The side slope of embankments for a railway track is generally taken as
50. A triangle is used for
Enjoyed the Quiz. Share this with friends