Machine design is a critical component of many industries, including the automotive, aerospace, and medical device industries. Machine designers use their knowledge of mechanics, materials science, and manufacturing processes to create products that meet the needs of their customers
In the automotive industry, machine designers work on projects such as the development of new engines or the design of new vehicles. In the aerospace industry, machine designers may work on projects such as the development of new aircraft or the design of new spacecraft. In the medical device industry, machine designers may work on projects such as the development of new prosthetic devices or the design of new medical devices
Machine designers must have a strong understanding of physics and mathematics in order to be successful in their field. They must also be able to communicate effectively with other members of the engineering team, as well as with customers and suppliers. Machine designers must be able to work independently and within a team environment. Machine design is a challenging field, but it is also an exciting one. Those who are interested in pursuing a career in machine design should consider taking the Machine Design MCQ
The Machine Design MCQ is a multiple-choice test that is used to assess a machine designer's knowledge of physics and mathematics
Following are some of the multiple choice questions on the Machine Design with answers that will help the students in developing their knowledge.
Machine Design MCQ
1. In the levers of first type, the mechanical advantage is ________ one.
2. The power transmitted by means of a belt depends upon
3. The buckling load will be maximum for a column, if
4. Which of the following screw thread is used for power transmission in one direction only?
6. The difference between the tooth space and the tooth thickness as measured on the pitch circle, is called
7. The size of a cam depends upon
8. Rivets are generally specified by
9. In a flange coupling, the bolts are subjected to
10. The V-belts are particularly suitable for __________ drives.
11. Which one of the following is a positive drive?
12. The rolling contact bearings as compared to sliding contact bearings have
13. A double fillet welded joint with parallel fillet weld of length 'l' and leg 's' is subjected to a tensile force 'P'. Assuming uniform stress distribution, the shear stress in the weld is given by
14. The centrifugal tension in belts
15. In case of pressure vessels having closed ends, the fluid pressure induces
16. The yield point in static loading is __________ as compared to fatigue loading.
17. For high speed engines, the cam follower should move with
18. Two shafts A and B are made of the same material. The diameter of shaft A is twice as that of shaft B. The power transmitted by the shaft A will be __________ of shaft B.
19. For maximum power, the velocity of the belt will be
20. A saddle key __________ power through frictional resistance only.
21. When screw threads are to be used in a situation where power is being transmitted in one direction only, then the screw threads suitable for this will be
22. The stress induced in the belt is,
23. In levers, leverage is the ratio of
24. When a close coiled helical spring is compressed, its wire is subjected to
25. If a load W is applied instantaneously on a bar; Then the stress induced in bar will
26. Plastic flow in ductile materials
27. I.S. specifies following total number of grades of tolerances
28. When a bolt and nut is made of mild steel, then the effective height of nut is made equal to (where d = Nominal diameter of bolt)
29. The function of cutting oil when threading a pipe is to
30. The dedendum is the radial distance from the
31. If threads on a bolt are left hand, threads on nut will be
32. The following type of nut is used with alien bolt
33. According to I.B.R., when the thickness of boiler shell (t) is greater than 8 mm, then the diameter of rivet hole (d) is obtained by
34. According to I.B.R., when the thickness of the boiler shell (t) is less than 8 mm, then the diameter of the rivet hole (d) is obtained by
35. In second type of levers,
36. A circular shaft can transmit a torque of 5 kN-m. If the torque is reduced to 4 kN-m, then the maximum value of bending moment that can be applied to the shaft is
37. Shaft coupling is used in machinery to
38. A connecting rod subjected to an axial load may buckle with
39. Wire ropes as compared to cotton ropes
40. In the calculation of induced shear stress in helical springs, the Wahl's stress factor is used to take care of
41. Stress concentration factor is defined as the ratio of
42. If d is the normal diameter of a bolt in mm, then the initial tension in kg in a bolt used for making a fluid tight joint as for steam engine cover joint is calculated by the relation
43. Which is correct statement? Stress concentration in cyclic loading is
44. Which of the following statement is correct, for two shafts connected in parallel?
45. The value of stress concentration factor depends upon
47. At low temperatures (say 75°C) the notched bar impact value of steel
48. While designing a screw in a screw jack against buckling failure, the end conditions for the screw are taken as
49. The shock resistance of steel is increased by adding
50. A closely coiled helical spring is acted upon by an axial force. The maximum shear stress developed in the spring is τ. The half of the length of the spring if cut off and the remaining spring is acted upon by the same axial force. The maximum shear stress in the spring in new condition will be
Enjoyed the Quiz. Share this with friends