Following are some of the multiple choice questions on the Machine Design with answers that will help the students in developing their knowledge.
Machine Design MCQ
1. The stress induced in the belt is,
3. The rocker arms in internal combustion engines are of__________.
4. A steel containing 0.8% carbon is known as
5. A steel containing up to 0.15% carbon is known as
6. A spring of stiffness 1000 N/m is stretched initially by 100 mm from the undeformed position. The work required to stretch it by another 100 mm is
7. The ratio of driving tensions for flat belts, neglecting centrifugal tension, is (where T₁, and T₂ = Tensions on the tight and slack sides of belt respectively, μ = Coefficient of friction, between the belt and pulley, and θ = Angle of contact)
8. Which of the following property is desirable in parts subjected to shock and impact loads?
9. The fatigue life of a part can be improved by
11. Rivets are generally specified by
13. The resistance to fatigue of a material is measured by
14. Resistance to fatigue of a material is measured by
15. According to Indian standards, total numbers of fundamental deviations are
16. In replacing the V-belts, a complete set of new belts is used instead of replacing a single damaged belt because
17. A tapered key which fits in a key way in the hub and the bottom of which is shaped to fit the curved surface of the shaft, is known as,
18. The material generally used for aircraft components is
19. Which of the following has threads at both ends?
20. When an open coiled helical compression spring is subjected to an axial compressive load, the maximum shear stress induced in the wire is (where D = Mean diameter of the spring coil, d = Diameter of the spring wire, K = Wahl's stress factor, and W = Axial compressive load on the spring)
21. For tight leakage joints, following type of thread is best suited
22. The rolling contact bearings as compared to sliding contact bearings have
27. The velocity factor for precision metallic gears cut with high accuracy and operating at velocities up to 20 m/s is equal to
28. A double fillet welded joint with parallel fillet weld of length 'l' and leg 's' is subjected to a tensile force 'P'. Assuming uniform stress distribution, the shear stress in the weld is given by
29. A plate with an elliptical hole in the centre, with semi-major axis (a) perpendicular to the direction of loading and semi-minor axis (b) along the direction of loading, is subjected to a pull P. The maximum stress induced at the edge of the hole is equal to (where σ = Stress for a plate with no hole i.e. nominal stress)
30. Two shafts ‘A’ and ‘B’ under pure torsion are of identical length and identical weight and are made of the same material. The shaft ‘A’ is solid and the shaft ‘B’ is hollow. We can say that
32. In order to ensure self locking in a screw jack, it is essential that helix angle is __________ friction angle.
33. Two shafts A and B are made of the same material. The diameter of shaft A is twice as that of shaft B. The power transmitted by the shaft A will be __________ of shaft B.
34. A riveted joint is a __________ fastening.
35. The expansion joint is mostly used for pipes which carry steam at __________ pressures.
36. The V-belts are particularly suitable for __________ drives.
37. A crankshaft is a __________ shaft.
38. A single strap butt joint is always in __________ shear.
39. The dedendum circle diameter is equal to (where φ = Pressure angle)
42. Which of the following cotter joint will be used to connect strap end of a connecting rod?
43. Which of the following statement is wrong for a connecting rod?
44. Which of the following formula is used in designing a connecting rod?
45. The resultant axial load on a bolt depends on
46. A bolt of M 24 × 2 means that
47. According to Indian standard specifications, a Grey cast iron designated by 'FG 200' means that the
48. The designation M 33 × 2 of a bolt means
49. Which one of the following is a positive drive?
50. The velocity factor for ordinary cut gears operating at velocities up to 12.5 m/s is equal to
Enjoyed the Quiz. Share this with friends