Following are some of the multiple choice questions on the Hydraulic Machines with answers that will help the students in developing their knowledge.
Hydraulic Machines MCQ
1. Discharge of a centrifugal pump is
2. Which of the following is not a rotary pump
3. A hydraulic coupling belongs to the category of
4. A hydraulic press is a device used
5. A hydraulic ram is a device used to
6. Discharge of a centrifugal pump is
7. The width of the bucket for a Pelton wheel is generally ________ the diameter of jet.
8. The working of which of the following hydraulic units is based on Pascal's law?
9. The flow in a pipe or channel is said to be non-uniform when
10. The breast water wheels are those in which the wheel runs partly by the weight of water and partly by the impulse of water.
11. The force exerted by a jet of water (in a direction normal to flow) impinging on a fixed plate inclined at an angle θ with the jet is
12. For centrifugal pump impeller, the maximum value of the vane exit angle is
13. The unit of dynamic viscosity in S.I. units is
14. In the casing of a centrifugal pump, the kinetic energy of the water is converted into pressure energy before the water leaves the casing.
15. When a cylindrical vessel, containing some liquid, is rotated about its vertical axis, the liquid surface is depressed down at the axis of its rotation and rises up near the walls of the vessel on all sides. This type of flow is known as
16. A Francis turbine is used when the available head of water is
17. The principle of jet propulsion is used in driving the ships and aeroplanes.
18. Which of the following pump is successfully used for lifting water from deep wells?
19. Which of the following instrument can be used for measuring speed of an aeroplane?
20. The length of the divergent cone in a Venturimeter is __________ that of the convergent cone.
21. Which of the following pump is preferred for flood control and irrigation applications?
22. Which of the following turbine is preferred for 0 to 25 m head of water?
23. The overall efficiency of a reaction turbine is the ratio of
24. Work done by a turbine __________ upon the weight of water flowing per second.
25. Meta-centric height is given as the distance between
26. Which place in hydraulic turbine is most susceptible for cavitations?
27. When the speed of the pump increases, its net positive suction head (NPSH) requirement decreases.
28. The flow of water through the hole in the bottom of a wash basin is an example of
29. Which of the following is an example of laminar flow?
30. When a liquid is flowing through a pipe, the velocity of the liquid is
31. A flow in which each liquid particle has a definite path, and the paths of individual particles do not cross each other, is called
32. The angle of taper on draft tube is
33. A glass tube of smaller diameter is used while performing an experiment for the capillary rise of water because
34. The torque required to overcome viscous resistance of a footstep bearing is (where μ = Viscosity of the oil, N = Speed of the shaft, R = Radius of the shaft, and t = Thickness of the oil film)
35. According to Newton's law of viscosity, the shear stress on a layer of a fluid is __________ to the rate of shear strain.
36. The discharge of a depressed nappe is 6 to 7 percent __________ that of a free nappe.
37. The force present in a moving liquid is
38. The product of mass and acceleration of flowing liquid is called
39. The property by virtue of which a liquid opposes relative motion between its different layers is called
40. The ratio of quantity of liquid discharged per second from the pump to the quantity of liquid passing per second through the impeller is known as
41. The maximum efficiency of jet propulsion of a ship with inlet orifices at right angles to the direction of motion of ship, is
42. In an impulse turbine, the jet of water impinges on the bucket with a low velocity and after flowing over the vanes, leaves with a high velocity.
43. A large Reynold number is indication of
44. The capillary rise at 20°C in a clean glass tube of 1 mm bore containing water is approximately
45. Motion of a liquid in a volute casing of a centrifugal pump is an example of
46. Manometric head, in case of a centrifugal pump, is equal to
47. In a reaction turbine, the pressure head of water, while flowing over the vanes, is converted into kinetic head before leaving the wheel.
48. Reynold's number is the ratio of inertia force to
49. Froude's number is the ratio of inertia force to
50. The specific speed from 160 to 500 r.p.m. of a centrifugal pump indicates that the pump is
Enjoyed the Quiz. Share this with friends