Highway Engineering Tricks that Will Make Your Commute Safer and Less Stressful
If you're like most people, the thought of highway engineering probably doesn't make your heart race with excitement. But it should! highway engineering is a critical aspect of our society that keeps us safe and makes our commute less stressful
- Make sure you know the speed limit of the highway you're traveling on. The posted speed limit is there for a reason - to keep drivers safe. If you're unsure of the speed limit, ask a highway patrol officer or look it up online.
- Be aware of construction zones and plan your route accordingly. Construction zones can be dangerous and cause delays, so it's important to know where they are and how to avoid them.
- Stay alert and pay attention to the road. This may seem like common sense, but it's important to stay focused when driving on a highway.
- Widening highways to accommodate more traffic.
- constructing sound barriers to minimize noise pollution.
- designing exit and entrance ramps to reduce congestion
These are just a few of the ways highway engineers make our lives better. So the next time you're stuck in traffic, take a moment to appreciate the highway engineers who made it possible. Highway engineering is a thankless job, but someone has to do it. So if you're ever feeling stressed about your commute, remember that it could be worse. Highway engineers are working hard to make it better.
Following are some of the multiple choice questions on the Highway Engineering with answers that will help the students in developing their knowledge.
Highway Engineering MCQ
1. Camber in the road is provided for
2. Maximum number of vehicles can be parked with
3. Tie bars in cement concrete pavements are at
4. Bottom most layer of pavement is known as
5. The function of an expansion joint in rigid pavements is to
6. In CBR test the value of CBR is calculated at
7. Most suitable material for highway embankments is
8. The stopping sight distance depends upon
9. Reaction time of a driver
10. The most efficient traffic signal system is
11. The most suitable equipment for compacting clayey soils is a
12. Which of the following is considered to be the highest quality construction in the group of black top pavements?
13. Highway facilities are designed for
14. Enoscope is used to find
15. The maximum limit of water absorption for aggregate suitable for road construction is
16. The maximum design gradient for vertical profile of a road is
17. The ductility value of bitumen for suitability in road construction should not be less than
18. The camber of shoulders in water bound macadam roads is
19. The critical combination of stresses for corner region in cement concrete roads is
20. Desire lines are plotted in
21. The fundamental factor in the selection of pavement type is
22. Percentage of free carbon in bitumen is
24. The absolute minimum radius of curve for safe operation for a speed of 110 kmph is
25. The provision of traffic signals at intersections
26. The thickness of bituminous carpet varies from
27. If aggregate impact value is 20 to 30 percent, then it is classified as
28. The ruling design speed on a National Highway in plain terrain as per IRC recommendations is
29. With increase in speed of the traffic stream, the minimum spacing of vehicles
30. Which of the following methods is preferred for collecting origin and destination data for a small area like a mass business center or a large intersection ?
31. Which of the following premix methods is used for base course ?
32. When two equally important roads cross roughly at right angles, the suitable shape of central island is
33. If ruling gradient is I in 20 and there is also a horizontal curve of radius 76 m, then the compensated grade should be
34. Which of the following is known as design capacity ?
35. The entrance and exit curves of a rotary have
36. The percentage compensation in gradient for ruling gradient of 4% and horizontal curve of radius 760 m is
37. The transition curve used in the horizontal alignment of highways as per IRC recommendations is
38. The attainment of super elevation by rotation of pavement about the inner edge of the pavement
39. The diagram which shows the approximate path of vehicles and pedestrians involved in accidents is known as
40. The desirable length of overtaking zone as per IRC recommendation is equal to
41. In hill roads the side drains arc provided
42. The shoulder provided along the road edge should be
43. Length of a vehicle affects
44. The aggregates required for one kilometer length of water bound macadam road per meter width and for 10 mm thickness is
45. The terrain may be classified as rolling terrain if the cross slope of land is
46. The particular places where pedestrians are to cross the pavement are properly marked by the pavement marking known as
47. In highway construction on super elevated curves, the rolling shall proceed from
48. As per IRC recommendations, the average level of illumination on important roads carrying fast traffic is
49. The number of repetitions, which the pavement thickness designed for a given wheel load should be able to support during the life of pavement is
50. The shape of the camber, best suited for cement concrete pavements, is
Enjoyed the Quiz. Share this with friends