Following are some of the multiple choice questions on the Engineering Mechanics with answers that will help the students in developing their knowledge.
Engineering Mechanics MCQ
1. Coefficient of friction depends upon
2. According to law of triangle of forces
3. An ideal machine is one whose efficiency is
4. Which of the following is not the unit of power?
5. The velocity of a body on reaching the ground from a height h, is
6. The maximum mechanical advantage of a lifting machine is
7. The velocity ratio for the third system of pulleys is
8. The linear velocity of a body rotating at ω rad/s along a circular path of radius r is given by
9. According to Lami’s theorem
10. The angle between two forces when the resultant is maximum and minimum respectively are
11. Moment of inertia of a circular section about an axis perpendicular to the section is
12. If two bodies having masses m1 and m2 (m1>m2) have equal kinetic energies, the momentum of body having mass m1 is _________ the momentum of body having mass m2.
13. A circular hole of 50 mm diameter is cut out from a circular disc of 100 mm diameter as shown in the below figure. The center of gravity of the section will lie
14. Moment of inertia of a rectangular section having width (b) and depth (d) about an axis passing through its C.G. and parallel to the depth (d), is
15. The C.G. of a right circular solid cone of height h lies at the following distance from the base
16. If a number of forces are acting at a point, their resultant is given by
17. A heavy string attached at two ends at same horizontal level and when central dip is very small approaches the following curve
18. Two like parallel forces are acting at a distance of 24 mm apart and their resultant is 20 N. It the line of action of the resultant is 6 mm from any given force, the two forces are
19. The force which acts along the radius of a circle and directed away from the centre of the circle is called centrifugal force.
20. Work done is said to be zero, when
21. If two blocks of equal mass are attached to the two ends of a light string and one of the blocks is placed over a smooth horizontal plane while the other is hung freely after passing over a smooth pulley, then the two blocks will have some motion.
22. When a rigid body is suspended vertically, and it oscillates with a small amplitude under the action of the force of gravity, the body is known as
23. A resultant force is a single force which produces the same effect as produced by all the given forces acting on a body.
24. Mass moment of inertia of a uni form thin rod of mass M and length (l) about its mid-point and perpendicular to its length is
25. A redundant frame is also called __________ frame.
26. The path of the projectile is a parabola.
27. The triangle law of forces states that if two forces acting simultaneously on a particle, be represented in magnitude and direction by the two sides of a triangle taken in order, then their resultant may be represented in magnitude and direction by the third side of a triangle, taken in opposite order.
28. The centre of gravity of an equilateral triangle with each side a, is __________ from any of the three sides.
29. The distance, between the point of projection and the point where the projectile strikes the ground, is known as range.
30. The maximum frictional force, which comes into play, when a body just begins to slide over the surface of the other body, is known as
31. The bodies which rebound after impact are called
32. Static friction is always __________ dynamic friction.
33. When a particle moves along a circular path with uniform velocity, there will be no tangential acceleration.
34. The range of a projectile is maximum, when the angle of projection is
35. The frequency of oscillation of a torsional pendulum is
36. The total time taken by a projectile to reach maximum height and to return back to the ground, is known as time of flight.
37. If a number of forces are acting at a point, theirresultant will be inclined at an angle θ with the horizontal, such that
38. Moment of inertia of a triangular section of base (b) and height (h) about an axis passing through its C.G. and parallel to the base, is
39. The unit of angular acceleration is
40. The time of flight (t) of a projectile on an upward inclined plane is(where u = Velocity of projection, α = Angle of projection, and β = Inclination of the plane with the horizontal.)
41. Coefficient of friction is the ratio of the limiting friction to the normal reaction between the two bodies.
42. If the resultant of two equal forces has the same magnitude as either of the forces, then the angle between the two forces is
43. A body of weight W is required to move up on rough inclined plane whose angle of inclination with the horizontal is α. The effort applied parallel to the plane is given by(where μ = tanφ = Coefficient of friction between the plane and the body.)
44. The range of projectile on a downward inclined plane is __________ the range on upward inclined plane for the same velocity of projection and angle of projection.
45. The angle of inclination of a vehicle when moving along a circular path __________ upon its mass.
46. The velocity ratio in case of an inclined plane inclined at angle θ to the horizontal and weight being pulled up the inclined plane by vertical effort is
47. The coefficient of restitution for elastic bodies is one.
48. The term 'force' may be defined as an agent which produces or tends to produce, destroys or tends to destroy motion.
49. Two balls of equal mass and of perfectly elastic material are lying on the floor. One of the ball with velocity v is made to struck the second ball. Both the balls after impact will move with a velocity
50. The friction experienced by a body, when in motion, is known as
Enjoyed the Quiz. Share this with friends